THE COMPLETE GUIDE TO
THE RES COURSE 2022
New entrants to the real estate agency industry must take the RES examination before starting to work as salespeople. The Council for Estate Agencies (CEA) manages and administers the regulatory framework for real estate companies.
Passing the required Real Estate Salesperson (RES) Examination is one of the criteria for salesperson registration. The goal is to prepare new property agents for the real estate industry by providing them with the skills and knowledge needed to operate successfully in the industry.
Immediately following the opening of stage 1 of the registration process, all 3,000 exam seats were taken up by qualified applicants for the 23-24 April 2023 Real Estate Salesperson (RES) exams. The 23-24 April 2023 Real Estate Salesperson (RES) exams were fully booked after the start of stage 1 of the registration process.
CEA wants applicants to understand that seats will remain limited for the upcoming exams. The exams will tentatively be held in August 2023 and November 2023.
In Singapore’s dynamic and exciting property industry, are you looking for a career? An awesomely rewarding career choice is starting a real estate career (RES).
In my twenties, I started investing in real estate and launching several real estate related businesses, and I’m a living example of this! Getting a real estate license is definitely not a straightforward process.
Before you can be registered with the Council for Estate Agencies (CEA) as a real estate salesperson, you must attend the Real Estate Salesperson (RES) course and pass the Real Estate Salesperson Exams.
You can find a complete overview of how to attain your real estate license in this comprehensive guide. Boost your wisdom with “Accelerating your wisdom!”
Here are some expenses you will encounter as you embark on your real estate career. You will have to bear some expenses on your way to your real estate career.
1. RES Course Syllabus
In order for real estate agents to meet the requirements, the RES syllabus includes the following modules:
- Possess a good understanding of the real estate industry and agency practices.
- A basic understanding of property laws and the legal requirements pertaining to real estate transactions and the real estate agency field.
- A basic understanding of real estate terminologies and concepts to enable you to comply with the laws and regulations related to real estate transactions and leasing.
- An understanding of property transactions and their proper handling in compliance with CEA’s regulations and practice guidelines, government policies, and rules.
2. Fees of RES Course in 2023
Various CEA approved course providers charge between $650 and $784 for the course.
- Your RES exams are subsidized by up to $250 if you are an NTUC member below 40.
- Funding support of up to $500 per exam and course is available to NTUC members aged 40 and over.
- SkillsFuture credit can be used by Singaporeans and Permanent Residents aged 25 and above.
MATTERS RELATING TO THE NTUC
INQUIRY RELATING TO NTUC: 6213-8008
We are open from 9:00am to 5:30pm on Monday through Friday, and from 9:00am to 12:30pm on Saturday.
3. RES Examination Registration
Note the following important information:
- A candidate is only allowed to register if he or she has been fully vaccinated against COVID-19, recovered within 180 days, and does not qualify for COVID-19 vaccines.
- There will be an email inviting participants, stating the registration date.
- The following documents should be saved in the formats like JPEG, PNG, or PDF, and not more than 2MB and the documents are Course Completion Certificate, Highest Qualification Certificate, CEA Assessment Letter, Result Slip, Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR) Test, Healthcare-administered Antigen Rapid Test (ART), Serology test result, and Doctor’s memo for COVID 19.
- Registration and payment must be completed within 30 minutes.
- Google Chrome, Apple Safari, Microsoft Edge, Mozilla Firefox, and Google Chrome are compatible.
- Once a candidate has paid for the examination, there is no refund.
- As soon as a candidate’s registration is approved, they are considered to have accepted and agreed to follow CEA exam policies and procedures.
- In case the candidate violates the rules, the CEA can bar him/her from future examinations.
4. Exam schedule for Real Estate Salespersons (RES)
You will receive a certificate indicating completion of the RES Course 2023 with a 75% attendance rate. NTUC LearningHub Pte Ltd, the CEA’s authorized examination administrator, will then permit you to register for the RES exam.
Currently, exams are scheduled for February/March, June, and October each year. Registration at least two months before the examination closes will ensure you do not miss your desired examination date.
NTUC LearningHub Pte Ltd (LHub)
Hotline: (Mon – Fri, 8:30 am to 5:30 pm): 6336 5482
NTUC Trade Union House
73 Bras Basah Road #02-01
Singapore Institute of Management Headquarters (SIM HQ)
461 Clementi Road. Singapore 599491
If you have completed your RES course between 22 February 2018 and 30 April 2020, your course certificate’s validity period will be extended by one year, so that you will have ample time to sit future RES exams.
RES Exam Format
The papers will be in the following format: Paper 1 will be written in English, and Paper 2 will be written in Spanish:
- Each question in Section A is worth 50 points or marks.
- Each of the fifteen questions in Section B refers to one or two case studies (30 marks).
- The short answer questions in Section C are filled-in-blank and worth 20 marks each.
Two and a half hours are allotted to each paper.
Case Study questions will now be included in both Paper 1 and Paper 2 of the RES Exams starting in May 2013.
A practice-oriented case study context is intended to ensure candidates can critically evaluate and interpret the issues.
You are tested on the following topics in Paper 1:
- The first competency unit covers fundamental land law concepts as well as an overview of the real estate industry.
- “Dealing with Land Interests” is part of Competency Unit 2.
You will be tested on the following in Paper 2:
- Unit 3 of this competency comprises “Real Estate Marketing and Regulation of Real Estate Agents”.
- Property Transactions make up Competency Unit 4.
In order to obtain your license, you must pass both papers. Examination papers must pass with a minimum score of 60% and are subject to review by the CEA (Council for Estate Agencies).
RES Exam Result Declaration Notification
You will receive your results from the Exam Administrator. Results of the RES Exam 2023 will be announced four to six weeks after the exam. If a candidate passes one paper*, the modular examination can be retaken.
One of the following formats will be used to display exam results:
- Passing (P)
- Failure (F)
- Passing on Paper 1; failing on Paper 2 (P1 F2)
- Failure in Paper 1, Passing in Paper 2 (P1 P2)
After getting your RES Course completion certificate, you must take and pass the two papers of the RES Exams within two years.
The rest of the RES Exams must be passed within two years of a modular pass in one of the exams.
You will have to retake the RES course before you are allowed to attempt either one of the two RES Exams (i.e. Paper 1 and Paper 2). Oh no!
RES Exam Revision sessions are offered free of charge regularly.
Foreigners and real estate agents should pay attention to this important note
You do not automatically qualify as a real estate agent by attending the RES Course and passing the exams. This is not the only criterion. In addition to submitting an application to CEA, you must also fulfill other prevailing registration criteria.
For the list of registration criteria, please visit CEA’s website (www.CEA.gov.sg).
To be a real estate salesperson with CEA, foreigners must hold a valid Employment Pass (EP) from the Ministry of Manpower (MOM).
When you register for the RES Course, your real estate agency needs to issue you a letter of sponsorship. It is therefore crucial that you start by looking for an established agency.
RES Course Providers Approved by CEA in 2022
You can find a variety of training centers and I have heard that the RES courses offered by these providers receive good reviews, so if you are considering which to choose, this list will be helpful.
Hastor Property (reputation high passing rate) and Real Centre Network are your best picks if you are staying close to central areas!
RES course schedules vary from real estate schools to meet the needs of adults or parents alike, for example, weekend only, Saturday only, certain weeknights and express courses.
Hastor Property Services
Venue: 190 Lorong 6 Toa Payoh #02-514, Toa Payoh Central,
(Located above KFC, please use the stairs beside KFC and go up to Level 2)
Institute of Estate Agents
Tel No: 6323 1770
Venue: 480 Lorong 6 Toa Payoh #07-01 HDB Hub East Wing Singapore 310480
Pioneer Training & Consultancy Pte Ltd
Tel No: 6462 6093 / 9424 3483
Venue: Blk 134 Jurong Gateway Road #03-309P Singapore 600134
Real Centre Network Pte Ltd
Tel No: 6511 3009
Venue: 490 Lorong 6 Toa Payoh #09-16 HDB Hub Biz 3 Singapore 310490
BenchMark RealPro Pte Ltd
Tel: 67355860 / 67355861
Venue: 151 Chin Swee Road #03-31 Manhattan House Singapore 169876.
Singapore Estate Agents Association
Tel No: 6702 1602 Email: email@example.com
Venue: 60 Paya Lebar Road #13-23 Paya Lebar Square Singapore 409051 (Office Lift Lobby 1)
Union Training Assistance Programme (UTAP)
The Union Training Assistance Programme (UTAP) offers up to 50% funding to NTUC members (maximum $250 per year). The NTUC offers higher funding support for members aged 40 and above up to $500 per individual each year, limited to 50% of unfunded course/exam fees borne by the member during the years 1 July 2020 to 31 December 2022.
Members aged 40 and above are entitled to higher funding support of up to $500 per individual, subject. In order to qualify for UTAP reimbursement, members must fulfill the following conditions:
- Union membership must be paid up before the beginning of an exam as well as during the entire duration of the exam.
- Training providers who wish to conduct exams must be approved by UTAP, and the exams must occur during the supported period.
- No company sponsorship or other type of funding should be used for the exam.
- An exam has been taken by the member.
- You have six months after passing your exam to submit a UTAP application.
Comparing the types of RES courses
Want to know which RES Training and Course Center to choose? Which course would be better for you, the express course or the 9-week course?
If you are a working mom who has a flexible schedule or a self-employed person with full-time appointments, please let me know about your plans.
The course types and their costs, durations, and intensities will be discussed, as well as the circumstances in which each course is appropriate.
I’m glad to help!
Once I pass the RES Exams, what happens next?
I congratulate you! As a result of training lessons and exams that were extremely intensive, you deserve a pat on the back. If you have already researched which agency you should join, you are well on your way.
A real estate agency can be difficult to choose from the many on the market. Huttons, OrangeTee & Tie, ERA, and Propnex lead the market with their top 4 properties. You can accelerate your real estate career at these Singapore’s top real estate agencies.
Registration of salespeople
Registration with CEA approved
The CEA will notify you of its approval within four to six weeks, and you will then be ready to start your thrilling and rewarding real estate career! I’m glad you’ve joined us!
Do you want to shorten the learning curve for your career by receiving great career mentorship?
You can get a 30-minute career consultation for free once. Please send me a WhatsApp if you are interested in starting your career with our team or attending our upcoming awesome recruitment seminar at PropNex. For new and experienced agents, we offer 100% discounts on RES joining fees. Only a few slots remain.
Mr. Lawrence Lee is an acclaimed leader in the real estate industry and the Executive Group District Director of PropNex. The musician loves to play a few instruments and doesn’t upset his neighbors with his playing. His wife barely enjoys the silly puns he comes up with while not doing so. He also likes to play pillow fights with his son.
Additionally, he has been quoted in media interviews on 938FM, Channel 8, PropertyReport, PropertyGuru, and other publications as a real estate agent, investor, team leader, and speaker.
The property investments he makes and the portfolios he manages help him grow the wealth of his clients. Lawrence Lee has also coached a number of million-dollar producing agents in Singapore from a number of brokerage firms.